August 17, 2008

Bling Bling-ing

The whole world is glued to the tv as the Olympics are on. Yours truly is no exception. It is more than just the thrill of watching the world's greatest athletes compete in a mind-boggling array of sports. It involves pride as it is my motherland that is hosting these games. And despite the controversies that have already arose with voice-switching little girls, pre-recorded fireworks, and protests regarding Tibet, I am indescribably proud to be Chinese-American. I am proud to be part of a people with thousands of years of history, a people that have a tremendously strong sense of self, and a nation that has an increasingly important role to play in the world. I eagerly watch the games every night to cheer on China, the U.S., and the world.

p.s. This quote hecka cracked me up: "How fabulous was Phelps’s feat? At Sunday’s start, the Person’s Republic of Phelps would have ranked fourth in gold medals and been ahead of all but 14 countries in the medal count." - the NBC Olympics website.

No comments: