June 7, 2008

European Adventures: Day 1

Bonjour! I sit here in my room after a long day to say hello to you my friends. After 12 hours flight time and a quick layover in London's Heathrow airport, I am now in Geneva, Switzerland.

I have to confess: I got REALLY excited when I got to London and almost started to imitate their accents immediately. In fact, that whole last sentence sounded like Emma Thompson's voice in my head. HAHAHA

Anyways, after a transfer through Heathrow, I got out of the Geneva airport where they DIDN'T stamp my passport! (BOOO..where are my cool international stamps?!?) The airport was surprisingly small. I had to hail a taxi to take me to where we're staying. This is when my rudimentary French kicked in and I asked a quick "Parlez-vous Anglais" to the driver before telling him my destination.

Some girls in my program had arrived already and invited me to come along as they went downtown to see the start of the Euro Cup. On the way, I saw the cutest houses on this sort-of country road and of course, took pictures.





The Euro Cup games, which are being hosted by Switzerland and Austria, are being played on a huge screen in front an equally huge crowd. Tonight's game was Turkey vs. Portugal and man, the Portuguese sure are enthusiastic. Plus, it didn't hurt to see Cristiano Ronaldo on the screen ;) At the square I had to use my really sucky French to order a beer, chicken sausage sandwich and fries for dinner. (Un Birre, Un Polet Saucisse, un frite respectively. It was the best I could do) It was so sad. haha

We left at halftime and took the tram and bus back to where we're staying and now I am wrapping up this blog post. I hope you all are well back in the States and please stay tuned for more adventures. Until then, Au Revoir!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you're hilarious. i'm glad you're having an amazing time! (and just a tad jealous :)