May 13, 2008

In Times Like These

2008 has been a pretty crazy year so far. The world seems to have been suffering a lot while I've been spending my time in school. Things like natural disasters in China, Burma, and the US & violence in Burma, India, the Middle East. And just yesterday heart breaking photos like these:




reached media outlets the world over. My first reaction was: "what?!?" I think earthquakes especially hit close to home with the fact that San Francisco practically sits on top of the San Andreas fault line and it has been predicted that we're going to have "big one" anytime in the next 30 years. Remembering the chaos and fear that was of the 1989 earthquake, I am definitely scared of the next one to hit us.

But events like this remind me that many others are suffering daily all over the world. How do I live in the peace and comfort that I do without wanting to do more with it? And so for now, other than to lend as much of a helping hand that I can, I can only quietly shed some tears and pray. Pray hard that good will come out of disaster, that Life will come out of death, and pray that people will be willing to help (and to allow help for) their fellow man. I hope you will join me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hope you are having fun and getting more rest. how's the french coming a long?